A comparison of lifestyles.

christopheroregon
Legend Bachelor

Post by christopheroregon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 am

Fellows;

Up until last week, I was still stubbornly playing Halo on my computer, in spite of having a shiny new X-Box and all of the Halo games to go with it. I hate change.

Then, the unthinkable happened. The game cheated. The damn game cheated. I was becoming too proficient. I was winning too much. I was sailing through too fast too many times, and wiping out legions of Grunts, Jackals, Elites and the dreaded Flood. I was unstoppable. I was, as the Grunts put it, EVERYWHERE.

The game seemed to retaliate.

I was trying to wipe out the second pulse generator, for those of you familiar with the game, and every time I did, the game spewed out dozens of Flood to overwhelm me. I couldn't get rid of them. They were everywhere. I spent two entire days trying to break through that section, to no avail. I finally got pissed off, stomped on the disc, and de-loaded the game from my 'puter, never to play it again.

I now play it on my X-Box, and it is far more enjoyable. So far, no more of that dreaded slow motion mode that frequently plagued play on the PC version, either. The guns all work infinitely better, as well. Even the dreaded "library" was easily overcome.

NOW, before you think this thread needs to be relegated to the hobbies section, please understand I post this as an example of the concerns of a married man versus those of a bachelor.

A married man has to worry about keeping his wife happy, his kids out of trouble, bills, college funds, life insurance, in-laws, STD's, diapers, adultery...the works.

I worry about different strategies in Halo. I stress over whether or not Call of Duty is worth the money. I worry about whether or not my new terminator game will drag me away from my fist love, Halo.

My concerns are what a married man views as a hobby. A hobby he can't enjoy. Imagine a married man spending the weekend, eighteen hours a day, playing Halo. Only if he wants to get a divorce.

I can literally sit there from dawn til dusk, or dusk until dawn, playing Halo, only to get up to refill on coffee, and to pee it out afterward.

Such a life.

Christopher

Madsen
Happy Bachelor

Post by Madsen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 am

Awesome metaphor!

While overall I'd like to see us single men setting forward-thinking goals and working towards self- and life-improvement, I definitely agree that the freedom to play Halo like that all weekend is indeed quite rewarding!
I myself had a "lazy Monday" as the tail end of a 3-day weekend today ... feeling guilty about not accomplishing all I wanted to for the day, but at the same time it was very relaxing and peaceful. Would not have even been remotely the same if I'd had a chick around to attend to.

outcastsuperstar
Legend Bachelor

Post by outcastsuperstar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 am

LOL!! That was a great write up Christopher!

outcastsuperstar
Legend Bachelor

Post by outcastsuperstar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 am

I'm going have to link that one to the Happy Bachelors website as well!

Alright Christopher I got linked to the Website now (Right Under the Bachelor Declaration). Since you were away for a while you may interested in the fact that I put happybachelors.com back up on the web last Sunday night. I know you will enjoy it!

christopheroregon
Legend Bachelor

Post by christopheroregon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 am

Outcast;

I'm truly glad you are back. You have a rare gift in your ability to reach men. There are few of us who have this knowledge at such a young age, and the gumption to preach it. I was one, you are another.

Keep up the good work.

Christopher

Shameless
Happy Bachelor

Post by Shameless » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 am

Gonna quote The Simpsons here:

christopheroregon
Legend Bachelor

Post by christopheroregon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 am

Yes! A life well spent. I spend my spare time riding my Harley, my scooters, or playing Halo. Or just listening to classical music. It's a life well spent. Of course, a woman would disagree. Any man not devoting his energies to being a good provider is a ne'er do well that has his priorities all mixed up.

I like being mixed up. :lol:

Christopher

edred30

Post by edred30 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:00 pm

As for me...relaxing at the gym (pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steamroom), reading good books before bed, hanging out with my son watching South Park and Family Guy, smoking cigars, riding bikes, going to the 'ole swimming hole, drinking Jack and Coke...all the little things...A LIFE WELL SPENT.

ak
Professional Bachelor

Re: A comparison of lifestyles.

Post by ak » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

Years old, but so relevant. Some things are just timeless. My biggest dilemmas now are whether I want to spend my time watching more of The Shield on Hulu or do I want to download more new music. The great news is whichever decision I make, I'm not disappointed afterward.