Defining Success

hhb
Sage Bachelor

Defining Success

Post by hhb » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:40 am

Success is often defined in materialist terms, especially in the Anglosphere, where acquiring vast amounts of items is consider a noble goal. A noble goal. Think about that. When a society has nothing to live for but the pursuit of material items and elevates this action to a noble feat, then that society is devoid of a soul. Such is the Anglosphere. Many men have gone out saying to other men throughout the Anglosphere "Look here is success, or look, there is success." But I say to you, behold, success is within you!

You cannot compare yourself as successful or not to other men's ideas' of success, which they try to impose on you by:

1) Defining success for you.
2) Telling you "secrets" - usually through a high fee, many courses, many books, etc., to obtain what they have defined for you.

It's a trap!

Because in the end, you will be a slave to a false idea of success.

As a man, you must defined success on your terms. It might be the pursuit of knowledge, wisdom, or both. It might be the pursuit of traveling far and wide and enriching yourself with different cultural experiences. It might be the pursuit of health and long life.

Success is within you! You must define it!

If not, there are plenty of men seeking whom they might devour with the false ideas of success going around, and you might very well become a slave to them...and ultimately...destroyed.

extraycrom

Defining Success

Post by extraycrom » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:52 pm

If I wake up each day what ever time I want, and I ain't hurt'n
and If I go to bed at night at whatever time I feel like
And in between I do what ever the hell I want
....In my own terms to me, that is success.

Modelautoman
Sage Bachelor

Defining Success

Post by Modelautoman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:11 pm

HHB and Extraycrom, you guys rock!

dsc
Sage Bachelor

Defining Success

Post by dsc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Good post, hhb. +1

sjenner
In a class of his own

Defining Success

Post by sjenner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:43 pm

+1 guys! I agree. Success to me is defined by living true to one's goals and dreams and good health and building true friendships.

analyzing
Sage Bachelor

Defining Success

Post by analyzing » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Good one

hhb
Sage Bachelor

Defining Success

Post by hhb » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Guys,

Thanks. Define your own success.

manasmaker

Defining Success

Post by manasmaker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:44 am

Great OP hhb, and thought provoking.

Simplifying life so that I do not have to deal with or even talk to the mostly toxic people who seem to work for big business , local authorities (in USA ?) and utilities today is a close goal of mine.

It is a default position and attitude from them that appears to start with sharp practice and escalates to legalized robbery.

Strengthening and consolidating the good friendships that I have, and being thankful that I recognize them for what they are.

Being happy and relaxed in my own skin, getting rid of regret as a wasted emotion,and being able to look anyone straight in the eye knowing that I have a clear conscience.

Aside from the material basics of life like somewhere to live and food on the table , those things define success for me.

edred30

Defining Success

Post by edred30 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:10 pm

Yes, good post hhb. I remember that as a kid in high school, I thought of myself what other kids thought of me. They defined "success" for me. I gave them that power because I didn't know any better. As long as other people define success for a man, that choke chain will never stop pulling.