Cost of living for a bachelor

edred30

Post by edred30 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 am

I was telling my son yesterday about how cheap it is for a single man to get by in this world as long as he doesn't do anything foolish (like getting married, taking on debt, unnecessary responsibilities). I also told him that when he graduates high school he will be a free man, and that he can stay that way if he is smart.

For fun we calculated the bare bones cost of living for a bachelor here in Tennessee, per month (assuming you own a vehicle):

Decent apartment $465
Food $200
Utilities $70
Gas $100
Car Insurance $40

Total $875 per month

Let's even round it up to $1,000. That's dirt cheap. With a job netting $3,000 per month, a guy can squirrel away a lot of money. Of course it takes a young buck a while to build up his earning capacity, but once there, he is already accustomed to frugal living.

If he chases tail, he can still be smart and not drop much money on her.

elric

Post by elric » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:34 am

Living by yourself is cheap for any bachelor. I once live with a woman who makes more money than me. I end up having to spend much more money on expenses and unnecessary stuff than when I living for myself. Great to show it is cheap to live as a happy bachelor.

dsc
Sage Bachelor

Post by dsc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 am

I bought a condo in 2003 in the city I live. My basic expenses were all of $1,000 at that time.

I bought just at the right time. The real estate prices exploded where I live shortly after (should have bought 2 or 3, but you know what they say about hindsight :roll: ).

Anyhow, had I still been renting, my basic expenses would have only gone up a bit. $1,250 to $1,500 max.

Life as a bachelor is definitely cheap.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:19 pm

guys, in school, i lived on $500/month. when i finally graduated i kept living on $500/month, but could make that in a day. the media programs people into being drones. you might as well use this to your advantage by telling women plausible stories that let their naive minds rest well at night.

+1 .

dwyer

Post by dwyer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:24 pm

ha ha ha, love the story superbad,

You got that right about lying to them,

think the BJ's still happen after the wedding day?

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:39 pm

thanks . the Latina was told that my school loans and mortgage (both paid) would have "us" strapped for years. she saved me a ton. good figure, beautiful face, long hair, DD tits. no pussy power: i did her as i pleased. today she's married (to a younger, better looking guy), has two kids, and is fat.

Madsen
Happy Bachelor

Post by Madsen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Lots of opportunities for a bachelor to greatly add to their quality of life! I know just from personal experience, comparing times when I've had a girlfriend to times when I haven't, I always seem to have more spending money when I'm single, and I actually have more interesting experiences too. For me anyway, with a girlfriend I tend to do a lot of activities just with her, but when single I go out with a wider group of friends since I'm simply more available to do so.
Girlfriends tend to monopolize a man's time as well as his money.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:36 pm

[quote]Girlfriends tend to monopolize a man's time as well as his money.[/quote]
exactly , that is why i do not chase girls. they know, up front, that my hobbies are my priority. ex. the Latina was allowed to followed me around because she could keep quiet.

loser

Post by loser » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:36 pm

[quote]ha ha ha, love the story superbad,

You got that right about lying to them,

think the BJ's still happen after the wedding day?[/quote]

That's why in wedding photos both the Groom and the Bride are smiling. :D

The Groom is smiling because he thinks he's gonna get a BJ every night now.

The Bride is smiling because she realized she doesn't have to do that shit any more.

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:58 pm

I spent 2k on monthly expenses (apartment, car, insurance, food, gas) since I live in southern California and its expensive here to live.

loser

Post by loser » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:31 pm

Yeah, awfully close to that here in the Chicago area. If you live in the "city", you'll blow through 2K a month easily, even with zero frills.

bachelorman

Post by bachelorman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:06 pm

I live on roughly 2.5K AUD a month here in Sydney.

$150 per week rent (share house)
$50 per week bills
$150 per week groceries
$500 - 600 a month going out money (call girls, dinner and drinks with friends)
$300 per month gym dues (regular gym + rock climbing + jiu jitsu)

Still manage to put away nearly 5K a month in savings and I live very comfortably. I should also add that I put away 9% of my income into a retirement fund on top of these savings.

MarcusAurelius
Professional Bachelor

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 pm

superbad, that is genius. +1.

I will use that in the future, no joke.

Love it.

shade47

Post by shade47 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:30 am

[quote]I live on roughly 2.5K AUD a month here in Sydney.

$150 per week rent (share house)
$50 per week bills
$150 per week groceries
$500 - 600 a month going out money (call girls, dinner and drinks with friends)
$300 per month gym dues (regular gym + rock climbing + jiu jitsu)

Still manage to put away nearly 5K a month in savings and I live very comfortably. I should also add that I put away 9% of my income into a retirement fund on top of these savings.[/quote]

I'm learning alot on this website. I looked it up and now I know that 1 AUD is basically the same value as 1 USD. Nice comment with call girls thought it was funny. I used to spend more money chasing and bedding with normal skanks then you spend on a pro ;)