Har-har-hardy-har! (My bad)

christopheroregon
Legend Bachelor

Post by christopheroregon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:38 am

Another brief example of the advantage of being a bachelor!

My neighbors, a married couple of course, are experiencing one of the more enjoyable aspects of marriage. Or, more to the point, the husband, Dan, is now reaping one of the most enjoyable aspects of having a wife.

Dental problems!

His wife, Kris, a nice enough neighbor, has had to have braces on her teeth (at 50!) and other major dental work.

Total cost:

(drum roll)

TWELVE-THOUSAND DOLLARS out of pocket expense.

SO FAR!

"My, my, my, my, my!", as Jimmy Swaggert used to say. The price on that pussy just keeps going up and up and up.....

Just thought I'd share that little tidbit with y'all.

Christopher

MarcusAurelius
Professional Bachelor

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:45 am

And at 50 it is probably already, or, very close to a sexless marriage.

You know, when you are supposed to just love them for their other qualities and simply value their companionship.

But WHAT qualities?

And what KIND of companionship?

I think silence is a better companion than 98% of women. One certainly learns more from it.

Prodigal Son
Legend Bachelor

Post by Prodigal Son » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:56 am

Christoper,

That is a real eye opener, and even more proof that women are a BAD investment all round as they will deteriorate with ever increasing speed as time goes by. You know, I actually feel sorry for this man because I can get an real picture of what it's like for him, in other words he probably has no choice but to pay up and shut up. I think he'll have to remember that he's doing it out of "love" and a willingness to provide for his wifes "needs" but personally, this is yet another fine example of why I'll never have those sort of ridiculous expenses. A happy bachelor I am, and a man going my own way I will stay.

It's good to finally meet you,
~ B :)

Shameless
Happy Bachelor

Post by Shameless » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 am

The blood sucking never ends with women and children, you will be spending money until the day you die.

What do I spend MY money on?

Vinyl records ( I know where to get them VERY cheap, and in excellent condition), a new stereo amplifier (the old one blew it's transformer), a very respectable computer, an HDTV, and anything else I happen to want that I have the money for.

Bachelorhood is the best :D

christopheroregon
Legend Bachelor

Post by christopheroregon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:31 pm

My neighbor is a software developer of some sort, and with his quarterly bonuses, assuming he gets them, grosses about $100,000 a year. Subtract taxes, and $1800 a month mortgage, two sons in college, miscellaneous expenses and you have... a broke man.

Sigh.

I, on the other hand.....

Christopher

MarkyMark
Happy Bachelor

Post by MarkyMark » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Chris,

I make about 40%-45% or so what your neighbor makes. Since I only have me and my cat, I too have more discretionary income than your six figure neighbor does, hehehehe. BTW, when I get my mortgage soon, it'll be less than HALF of what his is-ha! The perks of being a bachelor... :)

MarkyMark

oldschoolbmx37

Post by oldschoolbmx37 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Right on, shameless. I just bought an old Porsche that I am spending hours and hours with, waxing, cleaning, just sitting in and loving her every little odd design element and of course, driving. If I had a woman here, I'd be eating Ramen and hotdogs every night, be absolutely miserable and broke, from bailing her out of debt to "date nights." Been there, done that, on my own for a year now, and it's all I imagined it could be, plus a whole lot more.

Markymark, awesome on your cat - I have a couple here, they're the loves of my life. $1800 a month mortgage, with sons in college and everything else, my God... that's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Live happy, live free, be a happy bachelor and enjoy your life!

Kestral2
Bachelor

Post by Kestral2 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm a single guy, make six figures and recently as an exercise worked out my monthly expenses, I figured out that on a monthly basis, I spend less than 30% of my net income (that's right, net, not gross), so I'm saving over 70% of my net income. This would not be the case if I was married, that's for sure.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:05 pm

, i always liked those 928's.

great job . the money (and no wife) will buy you something EXTREMELY valuable... your time.

Brutus
Bachelor

Post by Brutus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Do you guys deal with shaming tactics from people for saving? I have a relative who tries to make me feel guilty for saving money that I don't even have merely because I am single.

mfsob
Legend Bachelor

Post by mfsob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:59 am

Yet another example of her problems becoming problems if you tie the knot.

Funny how no one mentions that little fact leading up to the "blessed event."

edred30

Post by edred30 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:11 am

No joke about what most women ingest. Most women I know have no understanding of basic nutritional concepts. A friend of mine has a wife who is bigger than a manatee (without the pleasing shape). It's great entertainment to watch them start their latest diet or exercise kick. It might last a month, tops. Usually, they end up even bigger than before.

dsc
Sage Bachelor

Post by dsc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 am

[quote]Do you guys deal with shaming tactics from people for saving? I have a relative who tries to make me feel guilty for saving money that I don't even have merely because I am single.[/quote]

Try to turn it around on them.

"

ppfd
Bachelor

Post by ppfd » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:26 pm

[quote]Do you guys deal with shaming tactics from people for saving? I have a relative who tries to make me feel guilty for saving money that I don't even have merely because I am single.[/quote]

Yeah thats plan old jealousy. See and hear it all the time. But I ask myself whats the point of saving and being sensible with my finances. Look around you can spend, spend, spend money you don't have file bankruptcy and do it all over again. Hell most my friends live check to check, some have proudly filed bankrupt and will laugh and tell you how they fucked off their creditors.

Shit head married to a gal my girlfriend works with has not paid income tax in years. The government finally caught up with him and got a little money out of him. The rest he drew out of the bank and literately keeps in in coffee cans at home.

I live within my means and don't spend more than I make. I have no real toys by choice as I bank every last cent I have no extreme need for. I only owe a house payment. And I really wonder if it is worth the hassle some days.

Kestral2
Bachelor

Post by Kestral2 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm

You know what, I don't have to at all. Why?

1. First of all, I don't talk to people about my finances, it's none of their business.

2. Some friends of mine put 2 and 2 together and realized I was making good bank and banking good bank. Rather than "shame" me, they have come to me for advice on how to get their own financial houses in order.

3. But assuming people were shaming me, I would recommend first of all reading the book "Your Money or Your Life" by Dominguez & Robin. One of the key things you will learn is that

4. With that in mind, every dollar you save is another unit of freedom you gain.

5. When you realize this, people shaming you about saving has about as much emotional impact as a blind person tell you that you're ugly - how would they know, they don't have the means to sense let alone understand.

As superbad suggested, every dollar saved is time you create for yourself in the future. So keep saving those dollars aka Units of Freedom aka Time and at some point when you are financially free (don't have to work, your money works for you) and you are sipping cold drinks on a tropical island with girls wearing coconuts on their ta-ta's, you won't even think of these people because you're having the time of your life.