Superbad's Escaping the Matrix

TruthTiger
Bachelor

Re: Superbad's Escaping the Matrix

Post by TruthTiger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 am

Fantastic graphic, notes and comments, Superbad. I was doing the math on my Middle Eastern Dad's earnings over ~40 years working in national defense with high-level clearance. He committed his life to working and got up at 5am every morning but Sundays (he slept in 'til 7 sometimes). He had three of us and assisted us through school (my bro/sis went to more expensive schools than I did, I paid for my own education working through school but that's pretty rare these days). Even as 20-somethings if we really needed aid he was there, including funding me in my business when I was in my early 30s.

We weren't/aren't an extravagant family by any means (which is also counter to most American lifestyles), having been raised to be disciplined in terms of how/where we spent our money and how we *earned* it. We *earning* the privilege to buy new toys (received points for doing well in school, on homework, doing chores). We *earned* an allowance, it wasn't given to us 'whenever.' My thrifty Polish Mom came up with the idea of points, incentives and tracked it well. It was one of her most brilliant contributions to instill the idea of value from an early age. An outgrowth of growing up with the clothes on their back post-WW2.

When my Dad died, he had half-paid off our primary house (refi, not the best timing in hindsight), owned a ~$400k vacation rental and had about a million in retirement accounts plus a few hundred thou in savings (most put into investments). By my math, he'd have earned $4 million over 40 years in his job, taken 33% in taxes and potentially had $2.6m remaining. The actual results, if factoring in ~$400k per kid, he had about $1.4m left. That's a very large difference. With fewer children, or none, he could have retired early. He could have traveled more, worked less and reduced his stress. He could have taken better care of his health, left my Mom (who also got a bit crazier like her own Mom as she got older), been with a younger woman to give him more reason to live, made time to exercise. He might still be alive. His contributions to his work were significant - admirals tried to convince him to not retire, but at 72 he needed out.

All of us, including my Mom, owe our lives to his dedication to us. She's praised him many times, during life (even when he'd get into a rage) and even now. But even with the praise, she rarely did the main thing he wanted - keep the house clean and cook him dinner when he got home. She couldn't manage the house after us kids left but had too much false pride to hire a maid. Vicious catch-22. I still can't figure it out to this day but my Dad was too beta when it came to managing her, even though she knows when to submit to a man (fairly traditional Polish). Maybe he was just tired of it all.

Regardless, it doesn't change the likely fact that having the obligations he took on (us kids and marriage) probably led to his poor health and early demise. If he'd actually divorced my Mom when we kids were already past 18 (as he'd threatened to do many times) and married a younger woman, or simply lived free, he'd probably had been healthier in body/spirit although would likely have lost much of his net worth. Once you get deep into the situation, leaving seems horrible but staying is its own hell.

I'm the first-born, have experienced much joy and pain, wouldn't trade it for anything ... except maybe having my Dad back and seeing him really enjoying his life as he truly deserved. Every single man reading is just as capable of being a real man and many are, whether you're single, married, divorced, a father or not. To live the life you want and not be abused by the system is what every man deserves. We have to claim that right and exercise our discernment. Did my Dad regret his choices? Yes, sometimes he said so (often yelling at my Mom to see a 'head shrink!'). Other times I knew he was happy. The irony is that my Mom, quite frail, has outlived him which none of us expected. His father smoked and lived to ~90 (records were lost). Shows how much stress really does decrease your quality and length of life.

I also see the trap that awaits me if I decide to get married, and I'm less and less confident there's a way to retain my precious freedom without trading my soul, or life. Earning money, investing it wisely, making good personal decisions, caring for one's health and managing expenses leads to Real Freedom. When the presence or absence of a woman can be taken with the same ease, that is another Freedom. Until that time, a man is indeed trapped in the matrix.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:39 pm

+1 TruthTiger, thank you. my dad is a genius defense contractor engineer. he ruled with a loving but iron fist. mom was a saint: cooked, cleaned, etc. women, even good ones, are stressful; as you end up fighting their battles. i am Greek. my best friend, growing up, was half Turkish, half Iranian. we had a lot in common.
Every single man reading is just as capable of being a real man and many are, whether you're single, married, divorced, a father or not.
i agree. my younger brother married a Greek. funny story, at Christmas dinner my sister-in-law said her family was upset that her brother "lost his balls" since he got married. she points to her husband, my brother, and says, "he, he still has his balls". we laughed. my brother is like me "on steroids". he rules with an iron fist, too.

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 am

This is great stuff! Can we post this as a sticky in the best of section for everyone?
I do have my expensive hobbies and passions but pretty much follow most of this ETM. I decided to rent aircraft and boats rather than spend a fortune on owning them. Plus if I expat there are places to rent these things as well.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:37 am

thank you kindly sjenner. my hobbies are cheap. i like boats too; but don't own any. i own a fast car but it's in storage. i'd rather drive my Dodge truck. if guys work hard on ETM, they can literally be set for life at 30.

freeman
Bachelor

Post by freeman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:26 am

"i recommend buying a $4,000 used Dodge truck from the 80's"

How about not buying a car at all? Take public transportation. Why is having a car such a sacred cow for people???

Grenade001
Legend Bachelor

Post by Grenade001 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 am

freeman wrote:"i recommend buying a $4,000 used Dodge truck from the 80's"

How about not buying a car at all? Take public transportation. Why is having a car such a sacred cow for people???
In a lot of areas that developed around the 50's and 60's and before, I would agree with you entirely as the public transport network grew in the same pace as the town/suburb did. So it is quite extensive and would mean walks of less than two kilometers (~1 mile) from the bus stop/train stop to your destination. But a lot of areas nowadays haven't got a developed public transport system and the ones who do have in at inopportune times.

I live in a city of 500,000, but my suburb has one bus route that goes near my suburb, the bus stop is a 4 kilometer walk from my house and the bus runs hourly from 7.45am to 7.45pm. Considering that I work night-shift, I would need a car to drive to and from work. Even if I had a job that started at 8am and finished at 5pm, I wouldn't be able to catch the bus to work, only from work to home.

Minor point as well is the actual atmosphere of public transport, do not think that I am a little emperor when I say this, I have used public transport extensively when in different cities and overseas, but there is the potential for people to get all up in your space. At train stations it was not uncommon for be asked for money for the train from beggars, another thing that is always common on commutes are kids being noisy, playing music through their speaker phone, after a long day's work you don't really want to deal with that.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

phathack
Professional Bachelor

Post by phathack » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:16 pm

In the part of the metro area where I live there is no public transportation. Many of the smaller towns in this metro area are not part of any public transportation system. The closest bus stop to my home is about 5 miles away in another town.

If you don't have your own transportation +90% of the metro area is out of reach.
When you life is in the suck, just don't give a fuck.
A irresponsible, free-roaming male, considered “unsuitable” by women since 1993.

AbelMagwitch

Post by AbelMagwitch » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:36 pm

:D

jimbob333
Bachelor Awareness

Post by jimbob333 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:36 pm

This is life changing stuff Superbad. The world is fake, and who cares! Becoming a LPN, Pharmacy Technician or learn a trade is great advice, which is what I'm trying do at the moment. Women will drain your wallet, time and energy - eventually your soul. I want to get a Vasectomy, done privately - so there is absolutely no risk of getting any bitch pregnant.

Thanks again Superbad!

bustinjustin
Probie

Post by bustinjustin » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:19 am

I got a job as an electrician and travelled the world several times over.never got married, bought a big old cheap house on a big block of land here in perth Australia.so now I have a boat to go fishing up and down the coast here, a bow and arrow ,big vegie garden, chooks,beehives and hilux truck.
I am constantly amazed by my workmates lifestyles.some make 150K a year and only scrape by with massive mortgages, expensive needy wives and kids and 2 or 3 car households.An average house here in perth is 600k, and a pint of beer is 10-12 bucks at a bar.
I look at the stress they must be under, and thank my lucky stars for going bald early in life.i'm now 48 .
it used to be that when you got with a girl, you would both work and live within your means.But in this crazy society now, the chick moves in, drops a bundle, and you live in constant fear and servitude of her and the bank ,cause if you don't play their game, you are finished for ever.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:20 am

freeman, If you can do without a car, more power to you.

Thank you AbelMagwitch.

You're very welcome jimbob333.

Awesome bustinjustin! Most people are too fearful to live outside the norm. And they suffer for it.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:45 pm

fflifeforce.jpg
fflifeforce.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 7003 times
Escaping the Vampire Matrix:

Men are often drained by their girlfriends, wives, and families. Healthy relationships tend to be low key. Random sex often pairs men up with vampires. Seduction, flirtation, and drama are the tools of vampires. Ignore women. I also recommend hobbies because men who are happy when alone are less likely to get vampired or be vampires. Observe each person in your life. Do you feel drained after being around them? If so... avoid them.

Photo: Lifeforce (1985)

thekingsfool
Happy Bachelor

Post by thekingsfool » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:06 am

I'm a natural introvert, which means pretty much everybody drains me after more than five minutes. ;)

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Agree on how much better the old Dodge trucks were made compared to trucks now. Unfortunately if you work in sales then you need a car as it takes an hour to ride the bus to work versus a 10 minute drive.

jimbob333
Bachelor Awareness

Post by jimbob333 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:39 pm

thekingsfool wrote:I'm a natural introvert, which means pretty much everybody drains me after more than five minutes. ;)
Yes, me too! I find small talk and most people draining. I deal with lots of people at work, and I'm exhausted after work. I'm working towards trying to earn a living at home and work for myself.

It's draining acting false at work, which I need to do or I would telling people to fuck off, leave me alone.

I agree with Superbad, keeping family low-key and not spending too much time together. I love being alone with my own thoughts, in my own little world - I feel totally at peace with myself.

thekingsfool
Happy Bachelor

Post by thekingsfool » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm

+1

No people = bliss! :)

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Yup sjenner, I see lots of inexpensive, old Dodge trucks on eBay.

Yes thekingsfool and jimbob333, avoidance is your best bet.

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:36 pm

I'd consider getting me an old Dodge truck for hauling gear and moving and as second backup vehicle.

wc
Sage Bachelor

Post by wc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:12 am

I'd love to get an early 70's or 60's car like I had when I was a kid. Smog exempt, even in liberal CA, and just so darn easy to work on. I would really like to have another 74 or earlier Capri. But I'll damned if I can find anything out there like this anymore? I think CA did it's best to get these cars off the road?

Funny think though; there's no shortage of old 60's, 70's and before pickups?

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:07 pm

I used to have a half ton 64' Chevy truck that I loved and it was big loud and fun! Such a shame that I had to sell it when gas prices skyrocketed a few years ago.

wc
Sage Bachelor

Post by wc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:38 pm

sjenner wrote:I used to have a half ton 64' Chevy truck that I loved and it was big loud and fun! Such a shame that I had to sell it when gas prices skyrocketed a few years ago.
Ha! So did we. That was the best pickup we ever had. It had a 292 inline six cylinder, lots of torque, and was as reliable as heck.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi guys. My RAMCharger gets 13-15 mpg. The new trucks, in real world driving, are not that much better. On average, people keep a new car 6 years. So my RC has seen me through 4.5 new-car buying cycles.

Psychotherapist
Legend Bachelor

Post by Psychotherapist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 pm

I have an early 70's Dodge car, and it is still fun to tinker with and drive all over the place. Way cooler than all the new cookie-cutter cars, and no car payments. I can't figure out why people love being saddled with monthly car payments?

wc
Sage Bachelor

Post by wc » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:17 am

Psychotherapist wrote:I have an early 70's Dodge car, and it is still fun to tinker with and drive all over the place. Way cooler than all the new cookie-cutter cars, and no car payments. I can't figure out why people love being saddled with monthly car payments?
Those old cars were awesome to work on and own Psychotherapist!

I've been looking for an older car, because I can basically save a bundle on auto repair, as I can pretty much do all of the repairs myself, and easily at that.

Unfortunately, in my area (CA) they've pretty much all dissapeared for the most part? Can't really explain this, but I know that they're still to be had in other states?

I'll probably just keep an eye out for an older car that was produced in great numbers, and hope for the best? Hopefully a popular older model will also be easy to get parts for as well?

One of the cars that I've considered is the old Dodge Dart with the slant 6 engine.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 am

I agree Psychotherapist: way cooler! I bought my RC, new, for $18,000. The average car payment is $450/month. So far, my RC has saved me over a quarter of a million dollars in car payments.

wc, also check ebay.