Saving money as a bachelor

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:51 pm

Agree with all- I am stopping cable- waste of money and time better spent other ways. I only liked a few shows anyways like Star Wars Clone Wars and can get the full DVD set for 20 bucks. I would rather get a new Sony PS3 tons of games and movies that I like and have cash left over for scuba diving and bachelor trips.

cauchy

Post by cauchy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 am

Agree with all but the books.

But fair enough if all you're interested in may be found at the local library.

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 pm

Also, find tax deductions- I write off 10-20k a year for business related work expenses. It cuts down on the tax bill and gives me things I need anyways.

superbad
Sage Bachelor

Post by superbad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:02 pm

[quote]Always pay yourself first[/quote]
that's exactly what my parents taught !

irlandes

Post by irlandes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Not everyone is into old books, but you can get thousands free for download from Gutenberg Project, once their copyrights expire. I happen to love old books, and have a collection of them in print form.

There is also a company which gives out a number of free current books. They learned that like Radiohead when they gave stuff away free, their sales went up, not down. http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

irlandes

Post by irlandes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 pm

My best friend in the States told me there is a place one can order CD's or DVD's of books. I can't remember if it's free or really cheap.

Just as expating is not for everyone, not everyone is into old novels. If you are not sure, try a couple.

widower

Post by widower » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:04 pm

if you read the classics they will be cheap- even when new. I guess everyone else is buying cliff notes.

mrklms
Professional Bachelor

Post by mrklms » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:14 am

A c ouple of things spring to mind for me. The biggest one is BUDGET.

If you don't have a written down budget, then you don't have a budget. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, yeah I know, that's an old chestnut!

You can also invest in other things that should our financial system go under, heaven forbid, you would have useful things like :

Wind up torches and radios
Portable and fixed solar panels
Inverters
Camping equipment
small outback farm allotment
cash in foregn accounts
Tools
etc..

You don't have to go overboard, or have fear that there will be widespread anarchy, but it pays to be a little cautious too,

Regards

Mr Klms

revolutionman

Post by revolutionman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:54 am

scribd.com is a great resource for reading material.

whats a copyright law? LoL

widower

Post by widower » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:03 pm

there are 2 sides to the equation, income and expenses. If you can get your income to go through the roof, but you need to spend some money on conveniences to make that happen, then for me its worth it. For me, the ultimate soution is traveling consultant/contractor. I spent a year on one contract and had a rental house and a rental car the whole time - paid for by the customer. I had another contract lined up with the same deal (and we had sold our house during the first contract). a family issue came up and I had to go back home as a full time employee. but you can bet - I'll be back out there. I've had a taste - its an awesome way to make more money, travel, and yet save money all at the same time.

widower

Post by widower » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 pm

side note-
keeping my money in cash form is an investment in the dollar. If I am saving money, then I am investing- even if its sitting in a bank. If the U.S. continues down this road, we could end up in Jimmy Carter land- ie 13% inflation. that means in "real" dollars, I am losing money every moment that I am invested in cash. Some of it can't be helped. I have to have some cash on hand for the rainy days. but any money over and above that emergency fund will be invested in land or equities. I was invested in land from 2006 to present and its value has more than doubled. it even went up a little in 2008!

edit- I don't mean to say that land or equities will beat inflation, just that they tend to rise with inflation. so at the very least, they are less evil than cash itself. whether they beat inflation is a whole other story.

Kestral2
Bachelor

Post by Kestral2 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:56 pm

I found this on Reddit, thought it was worth saving:

Hobo Packs

Carrots, potatoes, celery, onions. Pound for pound they're much cheaper than McDonald's double cheeseburgers.

Next time you have $20 or so, get a 5 lb tube of ground beef from FoodMaxx ($10), a 10 lb sack of potatoes ($5), a bag of carrots ($2), a bag of celery ($2), a 5 lb sack of onions ($1.50), and some aluminum foil. For each person eating, chop a carrot, a celery stalk, half an onion, and a potato. Spread half of this vegetable mixture on a square of foil. Put a half pound of ground beef on top. Salt and pepper the beef (free if you want to gather complementary packets somewhere). Spread the rest of the vegetable mix on top. Wrap up in the foil (so that no food is showing), put the bundle on a cookie sheet, and high broil in the oven for about 45 minutes. Unwrap and enjoy. We called them Hobo Packs, and they're delicious and very filling.

You can make 10 Hobo Packs for your $20, and that's just until you run out of beef. You'll have a lot of vegetables left over. A baked potato is half a meal itself.

sjenner
In a class of his own

Post by sjenner » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:00 pm

kestral- brilliant idea. Except you forgot one key item: spices besides salt and pepper. Garam masala is good if you have it. But for $20 to feed people for a while its a bargain!

revolutionman

Post by revolutionman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:17 pm

if you have so much as a suburban back yard you could save up to $300 a year by planting out some fruits and veggies.

If you know what your doing, you could save even more by starting seed in doors as early as February, and squeezing a second harvest in before the first frosts of October. You could even can or jar or dehydrate, and store for the winter months, if your so inclined, though i think the effort and investment for canning and jarring pretty much eliminates the concept of saving money. I haven't done the math. Theres always the option of freezing certain items. Probably have space in the icebox if your a single fellow.

irlandes

Post by irlandes » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:55 pm

As a poster above pointed out, or that's how I took it, the things you do should suit your personality and be enjoyable to you, rather than just being tight to save money. Which once again is the point of this URL.

lovekraft

Post by lovekraft » Sun May 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Our spending and budgetting habits have probably been ingrained in us at an early age in life. It was only in the past 5 years that I have found a measure of financial security. Still not the 5 to 7 years of savings you speak of, and far lower than the 75% net savings.

I believe that you should use money wisely and be prepared, but expressing ourselves through money (I know, that sounds mangina-y) can benefit. It can help us establish our identity, while lessening the hardships of everyday living.

Those who finished college, advanced in their careers and live in opulence, but still single would then be the ideal to strive for. A lifestyle of control while safe from self-delusion. From here comes a limited sense of vision and scope as compared to those closer to the surface.

Madsen
Happy Bachelor

Post by Madsen » Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 am

I find tracking my expenses in Quicken helps me be smart about where my money is going. I log based on categories (fuel, groceries, dining out, entertainment, etc.) and so I can look at the reports and see "oh man I spent way more last month on dining out than average" and think about why, and if I need to change anything or make sure I don't get too far off track.

Also, be sure to set financial goals and that will make it super easy to save money. When you are saving for a specific reason, it will be a no-brainer to add to that savings vs. spend it on something that is frivolous (frivolous relative to your goal) ... whether it be saving for a motorcycle, travel, paying off your mortgage, etc. ... have it be clear and measurable and you'll be motivated to save all you can.

Prodigal Son
Legend Bachelor

Post by Prodigal Son » Wed May 19, 2010 5:06 am

Spocksdisciple,
Thank you so much for the great advice! +!

~ Prodigal Son

lusitan

Post by lusitan » Wed May 19, 2010 5:51 am

I take note of everything I buy, putting down the price, and when I bought it. I don't like to use credit cards to buy the stuff so I usually withdraw the money and pay with it.

I also have a set budget. Most of what I buy are books so I check out the prices to see if I can find a good deals. I love old novels; the website Irlandes wrote down and this website, w w w.literaturepage.com supply me with most of the books I read.

The books I buy, I can't find on those two websites or I love them so much that I have to buy them, it also helps that the books I love are at a price of 2 euros average. Brand new. No one has a love for the classics anymore - fine by me!

rgibb

Post by rgibb » Thu May 20, 2010 12:19 am

[quote]I have an idea - tighten you sphincters so tight that your head explodes!

Better yet, utilize your money wisely vs. making a ton of cuts. Ever heard of making a budget? That's probably the way to go. Align your funds with your needs and you will discover that you can actually have a life without nailing your self to a tree and reducing your lifestyle to that of a hermit. Besides, what the heck are you going to do with all the money you save if you don't have a life?

For the record, in ten years of being frugal by budgeting vs. cutting the crap out of my life I have amassed enough savings to live comfortably for at least a few years should my home business go into the crapper. Budgeting is the key to success, not sucking your anus so tight that you can see it when you open your mouth.[/quote]

:D I go in phases. Sometimes I splurge, sometimes I wait for the cashier to give me my two pennies in change for the coffee I just bought I guess that would classify me as a part time tight wad. Luckily I've developed an allergic reaction to debt. I actually get physically sick when I carry debt so I avoid it like the plague. ;)

Madsen
Happy Bachelor

Post by Madsen » Mon May 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Two words: Crock pot!!

This is seriously my all-time favorite appliance.
It's a great money-saver, time-saver, and helps you eat healthier.

Toss in meat and veggies and fuhgeddaboutit!

Hot meal waiting for you when you get home from work, and for us single guys there's a goodly amount of leftovers to take for the next day's lunch and other meals.

I primarily do stews, just add meat and veggies in various ratios, I don't really use a recipe. You can toss in rice or potatoes for added bulk (although in general I keep starchy-type carbs to a minimum). I do roasts as well, and chili is of course awesome.

You save money in many ways:
* you are cooking your own food and so not buying expensive convenience food on your lunch break or going out to dinner
* you are using whole-food ingredients so that means less processed items you are buying
* you can buy cheaper (i.e. tougher (chuck, round, shoulder, etc.)) cuts of meat since slow-cooking all day will make them nice and tender
* uses less energy than a conventional oven
* saves time since you are prepping & cooking many meals at once and not having to monitor while you cook, freeing your time for other productive activities

cobrared1993

Post by cobrared1993 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm

[quote]An interesting list started by another poster at HB1

1) Don't go to the movies or buy DVDs.
Guilty of buying occasional DVD, but not nearly the amounts that most people collect, haven't been to a movie theater on my own since 1985, though I did see Lord of the Rings as part of a group for friends.

2) Don't spend money on cable TV.
I have basic cable and that's only to watch the Discovery and documentary channels, all else is crap and I ignore it.

3) Don't go to fast food restaurants.
Haven't been to one in 20 years.

4) Don't buy clothes unless there's a specific activity you're going to wear them for.
I personally buy only as a replacement for a worn out item. I tend look for quality at the expense of price which will last a long time, last winter jacket I had lasted 15 years!

5) Don't get tricked into buying expensive food at certain venues.
Don't attend events so I don't eat at venues.

6) Buy food as raw as you can. Check.

7) Buy used cars, not brand new ones.
Don't drive so I save on the cost of the car, insurance, maintenance etc.

8) Don't buy books or magazines.
Very guilty of this, it's one of my only hobbies, I love books and reading, though I've cut back by 70% during the past 5 years. I buy magazines only if I can't see the issue online, don't need to fill up anymore landfills.

9) If you have a hobby, make sure you don't go overboard on it.
Computers is one of the only hobbies and I've cut back to replacing my machine every 3 years(which is a very long time in the computer scene).

10) Workout. Stay healthy. Check.

11) Don't date. Don't get married. Don't have kids.
I've kept the faith since 1981, when I first entered university.

12) Know what's going on in the world.
Most definitely, am a bit of an info junkie....

and I'll add two of my own.

13) Don't get tied down with lots of financial "investments"
This includes stocks, property etc. I don't own a house, I rent since it's a lot more efficient, I'm not owned by the property market or the stock market. When I do invest in stocks it's for a very fixed period of time and I always exit within that window. I don't buy mutual funds as all that does is fund some portfolio manager's retirement fund while they could careless about the little guy. I make my own "funds" and always have a target. I know some people will disagree and say that property is the best of all investments. Yeah, tell that to all the people who believed Bear Sterns, Lehman Bros, Merill Lynch, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac etc. And all the "property" owners who got in way over their heads and now have a lodestone hanging around their necks.
My philosophy, always be financially fluid and nimble, you should be able to pull up stakes and move within 2 weeks if the situation requires.

14) Save, save, save...
Always pay yourself first, I put away 75% of my net income after taxes but before living expenses. I have enough saved to live without an income for 5-7 years if needed. Remember as an MGTOW, nobody will be watching out for your a$$, you're completely on your own and will need to plan accordingly.
[/quote]

I agree on all counts, but I admit, I never had enough money to afford all these PLEASURES that are passed on to us as if they are necessities. So in other words, being poor KEPT me from going into major debt and jumping into the WRONG lifestyle.

But now that I'm older, and my income is increasing, it's great that my level of knowledge is able to handle my growing income RESPONSIBLY!

Edit: I do have one addition. Avoid "vacations." I'm so amazed at how much money Americans spend just to sit around and drink beer and eat cheap gasoline station quality food at some "resort".

It's such a scam, I can take a vacation in my own home by just closing all the blinds in my residence and relaxing in a bath tub full of Epsom salt for 8 bucks.

It's also cleaner too! Do you know how many people sex themselves up in the bed you put your face in (300+). Just take a black light in and scan your sheets at your next hotel stay.

Awesomo

Post by Awesomo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 am

I don't think you need to avoid anything. If you really enjoy dvd's or going to the movies or even going out to bars- if that gives you pleasure and improves the quality of your life then of course you should invest in that.

The real trick is figuring out what is really truly important to you. Save on what you can in order to spend on the things you love.

rebel

Post by rebel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:11 am

I'm into History with a passion. I have a whole library on DVD. Still, the net offers a lot more... for free.

I have gathered a collection of three thousand DVD (on a 1Tb disc) all downloaded from Youtube. I can play the entire History of mankind in one long series of documentaries from the neolithic to present day. Total hours of continuous play: nearly 6000 hours. All for free.

Internet is the most wonderful invention.

outcastsuperstar
Legend Bachelor

Post by outcastsuperstar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:24 am

Here is a good post by ball248 from HB1

I was thinking about the financial crisis and the banks/mortgage and other big financial companies going down the drain and how many people would be affected by this. Along with the fact that the US and Canada have such excessive tastes and spend way too much on frivolous items/expenses, I think it's time we, as bachelors, find ways to save our money and expose ourselves the least.

Here are the ways which I believe a lot of people won't be happy to see, but however, we are! Because we're happy bachelors and we're doing the un-patriotic thing of not spend, spend, spend. We're saving money whenever we can!

1) Don't go to the movies or buy DVDs. Ticket prices are what? $8? $10? $15? I don't know, but they're expensive especially for a 1 1/2 hr movie which in my opinion is short. Not only do you have to pay big money but you have to deal with people who won't shut up because they can't keep up, a fat person who smells nasty next to you, someone behind you kicking your seat, a crying baby, cell phones go off and that person answers it!

I say just wait for the DVDs to come out. Get netflix, blowbuster online, or someone else has it and borrow it from him/her and watch it that way. It's more convenient (and cheaper) to watch from the comforts of your own home. Sometimes, like a lot of times the movie gets so hyped up it sucks (see Cloverfield). Besides buying and owning DVDs is a hassle in itself.

I remember helping a friend who must have had over a 1000 DVDs and some of them weren't even opened! I asked him how many of these had he seen and he said maybe 300? What? What's the point of buying, owning, and storing crap you don't even see?
Note: Even those who play a lot of videogames will even justify renting games rather than buying them. Less stuff to own.

2) Don't spend money on cable TV. So much of "free" TV sucks too so what makes you think the cable's gonna get better with more reality TV and pop culture shows? I might understand getting cable for sports but I would just find someone else who has cable and see if you can go there to watch big-time football games.

Like not going to the movies, if there's some good TV shows you want to watch, rent or borrow the DVDs. Some even have free online streaming. By getting the DVDs or watch it online you can dictate when you find it convenient to watch it (rather than get programmed by TV), but you get to avoid all those stupid commercials of buy, buy, buy!

3) Don't go to fast food restaurants. They have the worst food (see Super Size Me) that has the worst nutritional value and probably the thing that gets me the most about these fast-food joints is the people inside them. They are so depressing to see that makes the food depressing to eat. I might justify going to these places as take-out on a very hungry stomach, going on a road trip, or going with a bunch of friends to hang out, but otherwise, I'll avoid eating in them.

Eat healthy by cooking your own meals. It's also less expensive and you'll learn to be a better chef.

Also, if you do order food from these places, don't order the soda. These places make a lot of money off of sugar water.

4) Don't buy clothes unless there's a specific activity you're going to wear them for. I get so many free clothes like shirts and stupid jackets that I have too many of them. So what's the point of buying clothes you might wear maybe a few times in your lifetime? It's like why buy a tuxedo when you're gonna wear it, what? 3 times? Maybe?

I'll buy a suit to go to work, a heavy-duty jacket for skiing and snowboarding, a sweat/wet wicking shirt for working out, etc. But just general wearing clothes I do not need more of. I find it ridiculous when I go on vacation for example to Costa Rica, and you see these people buying up Costa Rica shirts which make them look like idiots there and back home.

5) Don't get tricked into buying expensive food at certain venues. Baseball games, football games, any sport for that matter, amusement parks, movie theaters, bars/clubs, and sometimes even at work with the vending machines with over priced food. These places charge big time money: $8 for a beer, $10 for a hot dog, $5 for a bottle of water, etc. It's called a monopoly or better yet, extortion.

There was a study done that some of these places make their highest profit margins off their food and drink that's not healthy in the first place. A better thing to do is bring your own food and drink into these places or not at all.

6) Buy food as raw as you can. I remember walking into a supermarket one day and I was scanning the fresh fruits section. The store was selling these big watermelons for $4 a piece, not a bad deal. The chopped/sliced watermelons in this small container cost $5!!! All that processed crap puts so much cost into it in terms of money and bad calories that it's a bad deal.

I can understand buying a frozen pizza for those days you don't want to cook, but no need to buy stuff that you can prepare yourself easily.

7) Buy used cars, not brand new ones. Unless you're rich like a mofo, you'll be better off with a used one. The sticker price of a car will drop about 50% in 3 years that if you bought a brand new car, that car will loose 10% of its value the moment you drive it off the lot.

I'd rather buy a used car that has under 100k miles on it, drive it until the 100k mark, and then trade it off for another car with under 100k miles. Most cars start to have a lot of problems at around the 100k mile marker so it's a good time to trade it in. Plus, I like the idea of owning different cars at different times to get a variety of experiences.

8) Don't buy books or magazines. If you ever go into a bookstore like Barnes and Nobles, you'll always see people reading something. But here's the thing that the higher-ups of BandN hate, the people don't buy anything! And why should they? It's like going into the library and checking out a book. You can't get angry at these "customers."

But in all seriousness, buying books is a bad idea. You can always go to your local library to check out the same books that the bookstore has and the problem with buying a book is that once you've read it, it will probably end up collecting dust and that's the end. If there are some good books and you have to have them since the library doesn't have them then go ahead, buy them, read them, and donate them in the end. Better to join some book club that gives you deals on these books if you continually buy new books.

For magazines - subscribe to them. Never buy the magazine from a stand because they are expensive. Some go for $5, $8 an issue while as there are some magazine where a subscription is a $1/issue.

Note: Some would argue buying CDs is very wasteful as well.

9) If you have a hobby, make sure you don't go overboard on it. I had one friend who must have spend a lot of money, time, and emotional value to his baseball collection. The only problem was that a fire burned his house down and he lost all of it. There was another friend that I remember thinking about buying another motorcycle even though he had the same replica of it but a slightly different engine (he already 10 bikes).

I understand if you have a passion, it's hard to stay away from it. But it's possible, keep the excess to a minimum otherwise you're just collecting junk and it could be taken away with some unfortunate event.

10) Workout. Stay healthy. Health costs are rising off the roof! Medical advances nowadays are simply extraordinary with cures for all sorts of diseases, wounds, injuries, etc. However, these cures also represents a part of the dark side the health industry doesn't want you to know about. Health companies keep pushing doctors to prescribe more of their drugs for diseases that the public has recently been informed about. Years ago, I didn't know erectile dysfunction was a disease until recently. Why is it a disease when it's pretty much a sign of aging? I never understood that. Same thing with ritalin being prescribed for tons of kids with ADD. Did people back in the 1800s write about kids having ADD? I don't think so.

The best way to stay away from these pill pushers is simply to stay healthy with a combination of working out and eating a proper diet. Working out also helps improve your mood and makes the body stronger and impervious to sickness/illness/disease.

11) Don't date. Don't get married. Don't have kids. The success rate of a good partner is very low these days with rampant cheating, divorces, domestic violence, the he said/she said arguments, the fights, etc. Oh man, it's such a headache, it's not worth it. It seems like nowadays if you want to have a good marriage, as a man, you're expected to buy this and that. What's worse is buying crap that has no value whatsoever like a diamond ring, necklace, etc.

How much do you think a divorce will cost a man? Probably a lot, in terms of labor and money since alimony and child support is expected. And I haven't talked about the emotional drain it will cost! And lastly, kids... ugh, the so-called great miracle of life. A study noted that to raise a kid from birth to 18 is roughly $250,000 and this doesn't even include a car or college education which of course, you're expected to take care of. If you think about it, $250,000 is a lot of vacations you could have gone on to enjoy yourself.

12) Know what's going on in the world. I was talking to one of my friends and he told me he didn't know what a 1040 was. You gotta be kidding me. He's out of college now and he doesn't know what tax form he should be using? Obviously, out of touch of reality which is exactly what a lot of people are in. They have no idea what's going on in the world that they end up losing money. My friend who should have filed a 1040 could have gotten a refund, but because of his ignorance, he lost out on it.

People should be informed so they can make better judgments based on rational thought and decision making rather than being on emotion or indifference.

I live these principles to the core which is why I don't live in debt. I make sure in my life that there is what economists would call, net positive cash flow. I wish people in this country would do the same thing by living within means. Of course, with the proliferation of peer pressure of buying stupid materialistic crap and just being lazy, people in this country refuse to do so.

They've lived in lives of excess so they continue to expect it so. Don't be like Thomas Jefferson who bought tons of useless, frivolous items only die in near-poverty because of reckless spending. As people say, "go green," buy less.

However, as bachelors, we can see and think from a far distance and know what we want in life - single, happy, and free. Probably the most important thing to know when making a purchase is to buy stuff for a purpose. If it's collecting dust - get rid of it - sell it, donate it, trash it. You don't need more stuff.

Note: Exception to the rule should be emergency supplies.

But of course, Americans are used to collecting junk which is why our economy is solely based on spending, not saving. If everyone spends their money, it works. If some people don't spend, then the entire system comes down crashing which is precisely what is happening to the US and world economy today.

I believe people that emerge to do well out of this bad situation will be the ones that can make do with less and not more.

I'm sure there are more ways to save money so you have any ideas, let everyone know so we can do our un-patriotic duty of not spending money but rather wisely spending it.